Taxfile: 31st October 2008 deadline

The deadline for submitting the details of your income and gains on your Self Assessment Tax Return is still the 31st January. However HMRC has now brought in place a new “paper form” deadline this year to go with the new-style green forms, the final day for submission of these is 31st October.

Almost all tax returns can be submitted online,but there are a few cases where paper returns would need to be made. In these cases the deadline by which the paper return must reach HMRC is 31st January. These are:
•SA700 – Non-resident Company Tax Return
•SA970 – Trustees of Registered Pension Schemes
Paper returns that have failed to reach HMRC by 31st October will automatically be penalized with a £100 fine.
This is the same for partnership returns, although both partners will have to pay £100 each, and Late Trust and Estate returns result in a £100 charge to either the trust or estate.
If you still haven’t paid the balancing payment due by 31 January by the end of February, you’ll be charged an automatic 5% surcharge on top of the amount still owing. This is in addition to any interest payments.
At Taxfile we only submit your current tax return online as it has proved to be safer, faster and giving you more time.
At Taxfile we have been completing online returns for some time now, this benefiting our clients as they are able to gain extra time to gather all the necessary information to complete their tax returns.
If you have not submitted your tax return yet, come to Taxfile‘s offices in either South London or Exeter to ensure that you do not receive an automatic penalty of £100.

National Minimum Wage

Minimum Wage is defined as the lowest wage payable to most employees as fixed by law or union agreement.
There are three different rates of Minimum Wage:
Adults’ rate for workers aged 22 and over
Development rate for those aged between 18 and 21
Young people’s rate for those older than school leaving age and younger than 18; you’re under school leaving age until the end of summer term of the school year in which you turn 16.
Almost everyone who works in the UK is legally entitled to be paid the National Minimum Wage.
However, you are not entitled to receive the minimum wage if you are in one of the following categories: a worker under school leaving age, genuinely self-employed,company director, prisoner, share fisherman, apprentice, an au pair,in the armed services or a voluntary worker.
Every year National Minimum Wage rates are being reviewed and if any changes take place they come in force from 1st of October. From 1st October 2008, National Minimum Wage increased from £5.52 to £5.73 an hour for adult workers.
The statutory hourly rate for 18 to 22-year-olds has also risen from £4.60 to £4.77, and for 16 and 17-year-olds has lifted from £3.40 to £3.53. Also the accommodation offset rate increased from £4.30(per day) to £4.46(per day).
It is worth mentioning the agricultural workers as different rates apply to them.
Also Piece workers (known as Output workers) are paid by the number of items they produce or tasks they perform rather than the number of hours they work. Piece workers must be paid at least the minimum wage for every hour they work or a fair piece rate for each piece produced or task performed.
Commission workers are paid entirely or partly on the basis of sales made. These ‘commission workers’ must be paid at least the national minimum wage.
Trainees and staff on probation are entitled to be paid at least the national minimum wage.
Very important to know is that the government is planning to introduce new regulations in April that will impose a £5,000 automatic fine on any employer failing to pay the minimum rate.
Serious cases could lead to a prosecution in a Crown Court where there is no limit to the fine that could be set.
If you suspect your employer is paying you less than the Minimum Wage than Taxfile‘s tax accountants in South London and Exeter recommend you downloading this form in order to make a complaint to the HMRC.