Childminders and tax

Registered childminders are people that work in their own homes to provide care and learning opportunities for other people’s children.
Childminders need to declare their income from their self-employment by filling in a self-assessment tax return every year.
Many childminders are members of the National Childminding Association (NCMA).The NCMA had an agreement with with HMRC in terms of allowable expenses that a childminder can have. They agreed that receipts for items of expenditure will not be required for items costing less than £10.
Also they agreed with the HMRC that full-time childminders (40 or more hours a week)can deduct as expenses a third of their heating and lighting costs and 10% of water rates and Council tax. Food and drink provided for children are acceptable and receipts are not required provided that the figures are reasonable.
Probably not everyone is aware of 10% Wear and Tear relief available to childminders. 10% Wear and Tear of total childminding income may be deducted as an expense to cover the wear and tear of furniture and household items. Once a childminder claims this relief, he/she cannot claim for replacing such household items.
Other expenses allowable in calculating the taxable profit are the cost of toys, books, safety equipment, travel fares, NCMA subscription, Public Liability Insurance, stationary, the cost of phone calls for childminding purposes, cleaning, accountancy fee, children gifts,training costs, resources (like paint, arts/craft)and Ofsted Registration fee(Office for Standards in Education).

For more details regarding childminders and their relationship with tax, you can seek guidance from Taxfile’s tax agents in South London (Tulse Hill) and Exeter.