Student Loan Deduction

Student Loans are considered to be a financial support package for students in higher education in the UK with the Government’s help. They are available to help students meet their expenses while they are studying.
HM Revenue & Customs is responsible for collecting repayments of Student Loans in cases where the borrower is within the UK tax system and is no longer in higher education.
The loans are still administered by the Student Loans Company.
In most cases the employer collects Student Loan repayments by making deductions from the borrower’s pay .
The employer has the following responsibilities:
• making deductions of Student Loan repayments from thee the employee’s wages
•keeping records of the deductions made
•paying the deductions over to HM Revenue & Customs
•providing HM Revenue & Customs with details of the deductions at the year end
•giving the employee details of the deductions on their payslips
•identifying on form P45, when the employee leaves your employment, that they are liable to make Student Loan repayments.
There is an Annual Threshold, currently £15,000, below which Student Loan repayments are not due. Employers making Student Loan deductions apply a proportion of the threshold appropriate to the pay period in calculating the amount of Student Loan repayment to deduct.
The rate of deduction when calculating the amount of Student Loan deduction is 9%.
Deductions are made on a non-cumulative basis. In order to deduct the right amount from the employee’s pay than the employer has to look up the Student Loan Deduction Tables on the HM Revenue & Customs website.
If you need to know more about the way Student Loans deductions work out, Taxfile’s tax agents in South London can help you get a better understanding of it.

Overpayment of tax through PAYE

PAYE (Pay As You Earn) is the system used by employers and pension providers to deduct tax from your wages or pension. If you think you’ve paid too much Tax through PAYE you can contact Taxfile‘s tax accountants in South London and they will clarify that for you.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) gives you a tax code that shows your employer or pension provider how much tax to deduct from your wages or pension before you get paid. You’ll find your tax code on your P45 or your wages/pension payslip.

It is possible you might have overpaid tax in the following circumstances:
• you started a new job and had an emergency tax code for a while
• you were only employed for part of the year
• your employer was using a wrong tax code
• you’re a student who only worked at holiday times
• you had more than one job at the same time
• you stopped working and didn’t get any taxable earnings or benefits for the rest of the year
• your circumstances changed – for example you retired, were made redundant or became self-employed
• you have taken a pension in the form of a lump sum rather than a small monthly amount (this is known as ‘trivial commutation’), the rate of tax you pay on the lump sum could be higher than the basic rate of tax you pay over the year and could cause an overpayment.

Any overpaid tax from previous years will we calculated by the tax office and they will send you a refund in the post or through bank transfer.

What you need to bear in mind is that you can only reclaim overpaid taxes for up to a maximum of six years previous to the current tax year.

PAYE forms: P45, P60, P11D

PAYE (PAY As You Earn) is the HM Revenue and Customs system for collecting income tax from the pay of employees.

As an employer, you need to deduct income tax and National Insurance contributions (NICs) from your employees’ pay and send it to the HMRC.

As an employee, you should receive a P45 or a P60 from your employer that show you the tax you pay on your wages. If you receive benefits or expenses your employer has to send a form P11D to the tax office.

P45 form

You receive a P45 from your employer when you stop working for them. It shows:
•your tax code, tax reference number and Tax Office
•your NI number
•when you were last paid
•your earnings in the tax year from all your jobs
•how much tax was deducted from your earnings

You are entitled by law to get a P45 when you stop working for your employer.

P60 form

P60 is a summary of your pay and the tax and the tax deducted during the year.

Your employer should give you a P60 at the end of every tax year (tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April the next year)

It is very important to keep your P60 safe as you might need it to prove your income if you apply for a loan or to claim back any overpaid tax.

P11D form

Your employer doesn’t have to give you a copy of P11D but he must tell you the details included on the form. This form shows the expenses payments, benefits and facilities provided by the employer.

For more information, you can visit Taxfile‘s tax accountants in South London. Their multilingual staff (including English, Polish, French, Hungarian and Dutch) are ready to help you with any type of tax affair.