Savings Income and Tax

Savings income is added to your other income and taxed . Banks and building societies are required by law to deduct income tax at 20% from interest before they pay it to you. They pay this to HM Revenue & Customs. This is confirmed by the entry ‘net interest’ on your bank or building society statement.
If you’re a higher rate (40%) taxpayer you owe tax on the difference. If you have a low income you may be able to claim tax back.
If you are a basic rate taxpayer you do not have to take any action as no extra tax is due and 20% tax has already been deducted at source by the bank or building society.
If you are a higher rate taxpayer than you have to let the Tax Office know what interest you have received so they can collect the extra tax either by asking you to fill in a tax return( if you are self-employed and normally have file self assessment) or adjust your tax code if you are employed or you receive pension. Then they will also send you a form called Tax Review P810 in order to check your level of savings income and then a change your code if necessary.
Your interest is taxable in the tax year that it is paid to you, or credited to your account, even if part of it has accrued in the previous tax year. So you do not have to include any interest earned this year when working out your taxable income if it hasn’t been paid yet.Your bank/building society may send you a ‘Certificate of Tax Deducted’ or a statement containing this information after the end of each tax year.
Also, if you have a joint account with a husband, wife or civil partner you should declare half of the income as yours. The second half should count towards their income.
On some types of savings income you do not have to pay any tax. Among them, we can mention the following:
Cash mini ISA;
• all prizes received from Premium Bonds;
• interest received from Fixed Interest Savings Certificates;
• interest from Index Linked Savings Certificates;
• interest, including bonuses, received from Children’s Bonus Bonds.
Also the interest paid by HMRC on over-payments of tax (so called repayment supplement ) is non-taxable.
If you are not due to pay any tax you can register your bank or building society account to receive your interest without tax taken off. You do this by completing form R85 and giving it to your bank or building society.
If you need to know more about the interest on savings and whether it is taxable or not, Taxfile’s tax accountants are here to help.