Annual Investment Allowance

Capital allowances are set by the government at fixed rates at which a business can claim the expenditure on fixed assets against the taxable profit.

From April 2008 the 50 per cent and 40 per cent first year allowances was replaced with a 100 per cent Annual Investment Allowance for capital purchases in any one year of up to £50,000.

On 6 April 2008 the annual writing down allowance (WDA) for plant and equipment was reduced from the previous 25 per cent to 20 per cent per annum. This writing down allowance is applied to the written down value of equipment brought forward from earlier tax years.

The annual investment allowance applies to all assets categorised as plant and machinery which includes most fixed assets including plant, equipment, fixtures and fittings, computer equipment and commercial vehicles.

Important to note is that qualifying plant and equipment expenditure does not include Motor Cars.

Motor vehicles are now subject to a reduced writing down allowance in the first year of 20 per cent.

The annual investment allowance does not replace the 100 per cent first year allowance schemes currently applicable to various green and environmental schemes and approved research and development projects ( for example Research & Development Allowances or Business Premises Renovation Allowances). So these schemes will be unaffected by the introduction of the AIA. The annual investment allowance is complimentary to these schemes.

Another important thing worth remembering is that for the financial year starting April 2008 small businesses which have a written down balance for tax purposes of under 1,000 pounds will be entitled to write off the total written down value as a capital allowance.

If by any chance you decide selling the asset after claiming the AIA, the proceeds of the sale would go into your capital allowances calculation and you would have a balancing charge to the value of the sale proceeds which would be treated as a taxable income.

If you have any queries regarding AIA or any tax-related matter, Taxfile’s accountants in South London and tax advisers in Exeter are here to guide you through.

Maintenance Payments Relief

Our blog today is dedicated to some of our clients who wanted to know more about tax relief on alimony or child support payments.This relief is officially known as Maintenance Payments Relief.
Maintenance Payments Relief can reduce your tax bill if you make maintenance payments to your ex-spouse or former civil partner or child.
If you make or get maintenance payments and/or child maintenance payments after 6th April 2000 it will not normally have any effect at all on the tax you pay.
Only people born before 6 April 1935 who make these payments need to think about their tax position.
You do not pay tax on any maintenance payments that you receive.
In order to qualify for this relief that would cut your tax bill there are certain conditions to be met:
•only applies if you pay tax;
•you or your ex-spouse or former civil partner were born before 6 April 1935
•you’re separated or divorced or the civil partnership has dissolved and you’re making the payments under a Court Order, in other words the payments are legally enforceable and your ex spouse or former civil partner can take court action if you don’t make the payments;
•the payments are for the maintenance of your ex-spouse or former civil partner (provided they aren’t now remarried or in a new civil partnership) or for your children who are under 21.
For the tax year ending on 5th April 2009, this relief can reduce your tax bill by the lower of the following two amounts:either 10% of £2,540 (£254) – this will apply where you make maintenance payments of £2,540 or more a year or 10% of the amount you have actually paid – where the amount is less than £2,540.
For the following tax year(2009-10) the Maintenance Payments Relief limit will be £2,670.
Very important to remember is that you cannot claim a tax reduction/relief for any voluntary payments that you make for a child, ex-spouse or former civil partner.
We hope you found this useful and if there are still questions to be answered, please feel free to pop in to see us in our office in Tulse Hill or drop an email. One of our tax agents will be more than happy to assist.