If your small or medium-sized business has struggled due to adverse trading conditions caused by the pandemic, it may be eligible for a support loan through the Government’s Bounce Back Loan Scheme (‘BBLS’). However, time is running out — you only have until 4 November 2020* to arrange the loan with a lender. That’s just a few weeks away at time of writing. There are some great features, so don’t miss out if you need financial support …
Bounce Back Loans are interest-free for 12 months (with no repayments being required during that time). Thereafter, the interest will be just 2½% per annum. Small businesses can borrow between £2000 and £50,000 depending upon their turnover (the maximum allowed is 25% of their turnover in the 2019 calendar year, up to the £50k ceiling). Another major feature is that the Government guarantees the loan. BBLS loans have a six year term, but you can repay the loan early without incurring an early redemption fee.
The main requirements around eligibility are that:
- your business is UK based;
- it was established before 1st march 2020;
- it has been adversely affected by the pandemic;
- it is not in bankruptcy, liquidation or undergoing debt restructuring.
N.B. Banks, insurers (excluding brokers), re-insurers, public-sector bodies and state-funded primary/secondary schools are not eligible.
* IMPORTANT NOTE: many of the high street banks now seem to be stating a deadline of the end of November instead of the 4th. However, Taxfile’s advice is to apply before 4th November (the Government’s official, published deadline) to avoid possible disappointment.
A few other caveats apply, so find out more about the BBLS funding here — before it’s too late! You can start the process of finding a lender here or get in touch with us here at Taxfile if you need help with any aspect of your application.