Autumn Statement by the Chancellor of the Exchequer

George OsborneOn 5 December 2013 George Osborne, Chancellor of the Exchequer, gave his Autumn Statement in Parliament. Key announcements included:

  • A rise for the Personal Allowance, as was long-anticipated, to £10,000 in 2014/15;
  • the higher 40% tax rate threshold also increasing to £41,865;
  • A new, transferable, tax allowance of £1,000 for married couples and those in civil partnerships from April 2015;
  • For employees aged under 21 employers will not have to pay Class 1 National Insurance (‘NI’) Contributions on earnings up to the Upper Earnings Limit;
  • Capital Gains Tax (‘CGT’) for future gains will now also apply to NON-resident individuals from April 2015 (previously this had been applied only to UK resident landlords);
  • For 2014/15 the annual ISA subscription limit will increase to £11,880 (of which £5,940 can be in cash);
  • There were also announcements relating to the continuing clamp-down on tax avoidance, improvements and plans for UK infrastructure, and the proposed inheritance tax (‘IHT’) simplification for trusts.

The full speech transcript can be read here or alternatively view the following video recording: Read more

Non-residency Tax Issues

The United Kingdom (UK) charges tax on income arising in the UK, whether or not the person to whom it belongs is resident in the UK. United Kingdom also charges tax arising outside the UK which belongs to people resident in the UK.
If a person is resident in the UK he or she is taxed also on the gains made on the disposal of assets anywhere in the world.
To be regarded as resident in the UK you must normally be present in the country at some time in the tax year. You will always be resident if you are here for 183 days or more in the tax year. If you are here for less than 183 days, you may still be treated as resident for the year under other tests . For instance if you visit the UK regularly and after four tax years your visits during those years average 91 days or more a tax year. You are treated as resident from the fifth year.
If you are resident in the UK year after year, you are treated as ordinarily resident here. You may be resident but not ordinarily resident in the UK for a tax year if, for example, you normally live outside the UK but are in this country for 183 days or more in the year.
You will not be liable to tax on your British income if you live in a country that has a double taxation agreement with the United Kingdom.
Double taxation agreements are designed to protect against the risk of double taxation where the same income is taxable in two states. So, under such agreements, income is only taxed in the country where you live.
You are either resident or not resident in the UK for the whole of a tax year. However, by concession, the tax year is split in certain circumstances when you come to, or leave, the UK part way through a tax year. In order to find out whether or not you are entitled to split-year treatment you would need to answer a few questions.
Taxfile’s tax experts in South London and Exeter would be able to help you establish your status in UK for tax purposes making sure you pay the right amount of tax.